Allergy season, or anytime we are stuck indoors for long periods, can play havoc with our immune system. With everything closed up, the air doesn’t circulate as well and allergens can lower your indoor air quality. It is difficult to keep the air inside your home clean and allergens out.
Pet hair, pet dander, dust mites, pollen, rodent or insect infestation and mold are all contaminants that can affect the air inside your home. They settle in carpets and on furniture, which can trigger asthma or allergy symptoms in people who are sensitive to these allergens.
What Is Indoor Air Quality?
Indoor Air Quality refers to the quality of the air inside your home. For the health and safety of its occupants, the air quality should be high. It should be free of allergens, microbes, and the pathogens that make people sick.
Indoor air pollutants may contribute to health problems later on. Other health effects may show up years later. These can include respiratory diseases, heart disease, and other problems that can be debilitating or fatal. Whether you have symptoms or not, it’s worth it to improve the indoor air quality in your home to keep your family healthy.
Steps to keeping the air clean:
1. Vacuum floors weekly to prevent pet hair/dander accumulation. HEPA filters help trap allergens and keep them out of the air.
2. Cover mattresses and pillows with an allergen-resistant plastic cover.
3. Wash bedding, throw pillows, and stuffed toys in water 130 degrees Fahrenheit or hotter weekly to eliminate dust mites.
4. Practice good pest control. Use topical solutions (bait, boric acid, glue traps) instead of chemicals.
5. Brush long-haired pets outside and bathe weekly if they are indoor pets.
6. Clean the air.
Contact your local HVAC company for an assessment, and suggestions for improving the air quality in your home. Dehumidifiers, air purifiers, and whole-house cleaners clean the air and get rid of airborne allergens. If you would like more information, contact HVAC Services, Inc.. We service residents in South Central Kentucky, Bowling Green, Glasgow, and surrounding cities.